Games and books centered on our heritage have become a part of our Thanksgiving collection.
Everything from simple scrambled thanksgiving words to a twenty question quiz:
1. What ship did the Pilgrims plan to take from Holland?
2. List four kinds of food they had packed in barrels/casks to take.
3. List three other items that they needed to take with them.
4. How many days did it take the Pilgrims to go from Holland to England on the Speedwell?
5. There was another ship in England that was going to go with them. What was it's name?
6. Both ships came back to England because the Speedwell began to?
7. Do you think it was easy for any of the people as they traveled?
8. How many weeks did the Pilgrims sail on the ship?
9. Why did the men think that the first place they landed was not a good place to make their home?
10. During the first winter how many of the people died?
11. Who were the two Indians who could speak English?
12. How did these two Indians help the Pilgrims?
13. What was the name of the Great Chief of the Indians?
14. Why did the Pilgrims have to work hard during the summer?
15. What kinds of foods did they grow and gather for the winter?
16. Who suggested the idea of a week of thanksgiving?
17. List some of the food that was prepared for this special time.
18. What state is Plymouth in?
19. Name the first and second governors.
20. What was the name of the important document they signed while still on the Mayflower?
to a simply color book to read to the youngest…
reproduction books for a more factual understanding for older children…
and a game for everyone, based on Scattergories.
If you have any resources or ideas to add, please comment.
Oh, and here are the answers to the Scrambled Words and Quiz:
2. Butter, beans, peas, water, …
3. Kettles, clothes, seeds, tools, firearms, weapons, …
4. four days
9. No water or harbor
10. Half of the people died
11. Samoset and Squanto
12. Samoset helped them make friends with Indians. And Squanto helped them learn to live in the new land.
14To grow food for winter.
15. Corn, Wheat, Veggies, …
16. William Bradford
17. Pies, tarts, turkey, …
19. John Carver, William Bradford
20. The Mayflower Compact