Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Raspberry Sherbet

So what have I done with all the raspberries? Well 2 gallons are in the deep freeze. Some have made it into smoothies. I gave about a gallon to a dear friend. And Monday night to celebrate Mr. Wonderful's return from Texas, where he went to meet our future dear daughter-in-law, we made Raspberry Sherbet. Tastes like late summer–sweet and slightly creamy! Wonderful at the end of a warm day.

Put ice cream canister in the freezer to chill.

Put 4 cups fresh raspberries, 1 1/2 cups water, and 2 cups sugar (or use a natural substitute) in a saucepan and cook, not boil, for at least 5 minutes. You want softened berries.

Puree in the blender. You may seive to remove seeds if you like. Cool.

Add 2 egg whites to puree in mixer bowl and beat until light. Fold in 1 cup of heavy whipping cream. Pour into ice cream canister. Add milk to the level needed for your individual ice cream maker.

Follow manufacturer's directions for freezing.

P.S. Huckleberry Sherbet!

One Saturday in late August, I went up to help Mr. Wonderful get firewood and was surprised to find huckleberries still on. By picking berries whenever I had a break to wait for wood I had a quart picked by the time I went home. And these were very, very ripe. My fingers were purple!

I used the Raspberry Sherbet recipe and subbed the huckleberries for ice cream at Cowboy Church the next night. There were raves about it.

No comments:

Google