Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cottage Cheese: It’s a Flop-but usable!

One of my goals for this year is to learn to make cheese–Cheddar, Mozzarella, Colby, Jack, Edam, Gouda, cream–I’d like to try them all. Now, I have made cottage cheese in the past. We had an extra gallon of milk and I thought I’d make some using a different recipe.

I warmed my milk, put in my culture, maintained the temperature-fairly well. But never achieved a good curd. Some whey separated, but not much. What I ended up with is more like a buttermilk/sour cream cross that I’ve been using for sour cream in baking.

Now did I have too much cream in my milk-it is very cramy, was my culture not good, was my thermometer off, did high altitude affect it, is it a bad recipe? I know cottage cheese is not that technical–our grandmothers made it using their wood stoves to incubate without thermometers and high tech recipes.

PS I also made sour cream using two different recipes and they both turned out great!

No comments:

Google