Fall is in the air here with a hint of winter. This is a cake I like to make in the fall. Maple just seems like a “fall” flavor to me. I’ve tweaked the recipe to use 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour.
Maple Chiffon Cake with Golden Butter Frosting
1. Beat until very stiff. Then transfer to a different bowl (glass or metal NOT plastic) to hold.
1-cup (about 8) egg whites
1/2 tsp. Cream of tartar
2. Mix together in mixer bowl:
2 1/2 cups flour (1/2 whole wheat pastry flour 1/2 unbleached)
2 5/8 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Salt
3/4-cup brown sugar
3. Add in order to dry ingredients:
1/3-cup olive oil
1/2-cup real maple syrup
5 egg yolks
3/4-cup cold water
4. Pour batter over egg whites. Fold in GENTLY.
5. Pour into ungreased tube pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Invert immediately. Remove from pan when cool. Then frost.
Golden Butter Frosting
1. Melt 1/2-cup butter in saucepan, over low heat until golden brown. Watch carefully to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.
2. Place 4 cups confectioner’s sugar in mixer bowl. Beat in melted butter. Add 1 tsp. Maple flavoring. Blend in light cream until spreading consistency, about 1/4 cup.
Will frost 1-10” tube cake.