Friday, August 14, 2015

Fermenting Day

It was a cold and wet day. Too cold and wet to work in the garden.

So I majored on some fermented foods.

Draining yogurt for "Greek" yogurt or yogurt cheese.


Yogurt will drip for about 24 hours.



Making a fresh batch of Kombucha. I make 1/2 gallon at a time with a blend of half black and half Red Roobios.
Tea steeps for 10 minutes, then cools.When cool I add the scoby and put a coffee filter over the top, letting it ferment for 10 days.


 

Last year's sauerkraut was about to run out. I used the largest cabbage in the garden - 3 lbs 11 oz. to make about 1/2 gallon sauerkraut. I like my sauerkraut to be crunchy still.

Slice thinly and put in a non-reactive bowl.
Salt sprinkled on.


Ready to set out for up to 3 days. Then in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.

No comments:

Google