Friday, January 23, 2009

Baking Day-Apple Turnovers

Every fall I try to dice up some apples, sprinkle them with spices and a little brown sugar and put them in the freezer in quart Zip-loc bags. This year’s supply came from a friend’s excess Transparent apples.

Thaw the apples at least most the way. Let most the water drain through a colander.

Mix up pie crust. I did a double batch of my mom’s pie crust recipe.

Mom’s Pie Crust Recipe

2 cups flour (I used 1/4 whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 cup shortening (Out of, so I subbed butter, using slightly less.)
1/3-1/2 cup cold water

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in shortening or butter. Gently stir in water.

Taking a large handful of dough roll out into a long skinny rectangle on a floured board. Fold one corner over and trim to make a square by cutting a triangle. Continue cutting squares. Put dough scraps back into bowl.



Using a fork place enough apple dices on your square to fill it when folded as a triangle. Moisten the edges and seal as you would for a pie. Place on a greased or lined cookie sheet. Continue until all the dough is used. Leftover apples may be returned to the freezer.

Bake Apple Turnovers for 20 minutes in a 400°F oven.

Remove to a wire rack to cool. Eat plain or glaze with a very thin mixture of powdered sugar and hot water.




I put a Pot Roast on to cook for dinner tonight and have a quart of yogurt incubating that will be done this evening.

I also sewed the binding on my daughter-in-laws Valentine gift. Hopefully, I will have time to post next week on what I made her and how I made it. I think most Grandmas would like to receive it, too. I know this Grandma would think it was special!

No comments:

Google