Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving Stuffing and Hors d'oeuvres

This Thanksgiving, as one of my sons said, we are having dozens of people over. Dinner will be at noon-turkey with all the trimmings. A break will follow for games or maybe a walk and target shooting weather permitting. Then pies and hors d'oeuvres. I've asked each family to bring a side dish, pie, and hors d'eouvre.

To make the stuffing lower in fat, cheaper, and slightly sweeter. I use apple juice I have canned when canning applesauce, for half the fat. To get the juice from the applesauce, I process the applesauce into a colander over a bowl. A colander that does not drain quickly works best. This juice will be much more nutritious than store bought. It looks cloudy because the good for you stuf is still in it.

For my hors' doeuvres I've made Pirozhkis. The dough is from Jill Bond's Mega Cooking cookbook. I make mine bigger by cutting the dough circles using a small bowl or saucer for size. And I fill my with left-overs. A great way to clean out the fridge for all the Thanksgiving food! They now are in the freezer ready to bake on Thanksgiving.

Dough ingredients: 1 1/2 cups softened butter, 4 cups flour, 2 tsps. salt, 1 cup sour cream. Chill dough well before rolling out. Cut in circles. Seal by moistening edges.



Here are pictures of the ones I made with chopped up pepperoni, a tiny bit of pizza sauce, and sprinkle of shredded cheese. They will be yummy dipped in pizza sauce. I also made some with an elk roast shreded and mixed with barbeque sauce. They will be dipped in more barbeque sauce.



Bake at 400°F for 15 to 20 minutes. Reheat at 350°F.

No comments:

Google